Thursday 16 August 2012

"After the boys of summer have gone..." (Don Henley)

I know that baseball players are generally considered to be the boys of summer, but this is Canada, and summer is concert season here, so my boys of summer are musicians on tour.  :)  Not only did I see the Scorpions and Def Leppard 2 weeks apart, I also managed to snag myself a ticket to see Aerosmith in Toronto beforehand, so that made 3 big concerts within 3 weeks!

But, before I expound on my summer concert series, let's discuss the cruise, shall we?  There's cruise news!!  The latest announcement of bands was very exciting:  Stryper, Saxon, and Queensryche!  My husband has always been a big Queensryche fan, and although this is them sans Geoff Tate, he's still really excited about it.  He did enjoy himself on the first cruise, and he thought that it was a very cool experience, but now he's actually really looking forward to next year's.  I've never seen Saxon, and Stryper were great this year so I'm looking forward to seeing them again.  So -- that's about 32 acts on board this time around?  Wowsa.  Even though next year's cruise is 1 day longer, it's still going to be crazy busy!

Alright, summer concerts:

Aerosmith was very good.  We saw them the week before Steven Tyler had to take time off to rest his voice, and he sounded just fine to me.  Their new album hasn't been released yet, so they did a lot of their older hits.  Of course, they saved "Dream On" for the encore, and it started with Steven Tyler playing a white baby grand piano rising up out of the stage.  Very cool.  I had a look through my old ticket stubs before going to the concert, and apparently this was the 6th time I've seen Aerosmith.  Huh -- who knew?  I mean, I do like them, and I knew I had seen them more than a couple of times, and (fortunately) they've always put on a good show when I've seen them.  But I didn't realize I had seen them quite so often.  Cheap Trick opened, and I've seen them before too as they seem to regularly open for Aerosmith.
I have decided I'm not a Cheap Trick fan.
Nothing personal.


Thanks to EMD for sharing the photos.  ;)

Next up, the Scorpions at the Molson Ampitheatre in Toronto.  An outdoor concert -- my favourite kind!  There's something magical about an outdoor concert on a warm summer evening.  What a great concert, they were fantastic!  I was a little concerned initially 'cause I wasn't sure how Klaus Meine's voice would sound.  I just felt he's got one of those voices that may not have aged well.  Holy cow -- let me tell you, he sounded great!  He had no problem hitting any of the notes on any of the songs.  Never looked like he was having any difficulty.  And those guys really looked like they were putting their all into playing, and having a great time doing it.  In comparison, Aerosmith looked a bit like they were trying too hard to say "See?  We still get along."  (Just my opinion.)  We also ran into our MOR cruise buddy, A., before the concert, and met his brother, G., who he was there with.  We all had a chat and a visit on the GO train ride back home afterwards.
My total Scorpions concert count is now 3 (not much, I know).

Def Leppard -- ahhhh!  I like Leppards.  :)  This was the 5th time I've seen Def Leppard in concert, and it was a really good show.  This is the "Rock of Ages" tour, so it was all their hits and other really good tunes.  Of course, they couldn't play everything one wanted them to (not enough time for that!), but it was still great.  And, Joe Elliot still sounded really good too.  Lita Ford kicked things off, and I quite enjoyed her.  I hadn't seen her before.  Her small band seemed a bit lost on the big concert stage, and I don't think women have quite the power in their voices that men do, so I think she'll "show" better in the smaller venues of the cruise.  But again, it all sounded good, and I was surprised at how many of her tunes I recognized.  After Lita, it was Poison.  I'm not a fan per se (as I am sure you well know), but I do have to give credit where it's due:  they played with lots of energy, really perking the place up, and their songs are catchy.  My main problem with Poison (time for an editorial) is this:  they are NOT a metal band.  I wouldn't even classify them as hard rock.  To me, their music is pure pop.  Sure, they had the look of the other rock/metal bands at the time, but good grief people -- listen to the music!!  Ok.  I'm done.

Not too much happening in the foreseeable future.  I am going to see Nightwish in Toronto in September, and I'm looking forward to that.  I don't know too much about them, but I do really like what little I've heard.  So it should be good.

Time for the countdown...

7 MONTHS TODAY CRUISE #2 SETS SAIL!!!

\m/  (horns up)


No comments:

Post a Comment