Friday 17 February 2012

"Anticipation...is keeping me waiting..." (Carly Simon)

Ok, here we go with post #2.  And aside from just counting down to the cruise (8 days!!  Woohoo!!  The countdown is into single digits!!), I thought I'd expound a bit upon the bands on board.  Hmmm...there actually won't be much for me to say, as I'm really only a fan of one of them (Cinderella).

I've heard of many of the bands, and I even know a couple songs from some of them specifically -- and it's likely that I would recognize a song or two without knowing who the artist is, but really, I've only ever seen Cinderella in concert.  (I say that, but it's quite possible that I've seen some of them as opening acts for bigger bands whose concerts I've been to, but I don't have that kind of recall.)  I haven't even seen Helix, and we exist in the same geographical area!  That being said, I only own 1 Cinderella album:  "Night Songs" (another really good whole album).  I am looking forward to seeing as many of the bands as possible (sleep?  what sleep?).  At the top of my list is:  Cinderella (of course), Helix (of course), and Lynch Mob (Dokken guitarist George Lynch's band).  I'd also like to see Kix, Keel, Stryper (though I'm not really sure why...morbid curiosity, I think -- they're a Christian Rock band, or at least they were), Night Ranger, Black'n'Blue, Y&T, UFO, XYZ...  The rest I can probably take or leave. 

This closer look at the bands booked on this cruise has got me pondering:  who would I book on my own personal Monsters of Rock bill?  Hmmm...Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Scorpions... Aerosmith...Motley Crue, and Great White.  In no particular order, but those are my favourites.  Do share:  who would you have on your personal Monsters of Rock lineup?

There is also a tribute band on board (just in case there's any gaps in concert time, I guess).  Actually, I think it's two tribute bands...or maybe one and a half...or a quarter.  Let me explain:  They are called "The Atomic Punks" (a Van Halen tribute band, for those of you to whom the name means nothing, like moi), and "Motley Inc." (obviously a Motley Crue tribute band).  When I was scoping out their respective websites, I noticed that the sites looked remakably similar.  Upon further investigation, I see that the two bands share the same bassist, guitarist, and drummer, just changing up the lead singers, depending on whether they need a Vince Neil or a David Lee Roth.  So, I guess the Monster Cruise people get 2 bands for the price of 1.  And a quarter.  I understand they're supposed to be very good, so they are also on our hit list of bands to see while we're shiprockin'.

Speaking of "we"...my husband has read my first post, and wondered why I didn't include his glory days in my stories.  So.  He too had long hair back in the day and played bass in a Burlington-based band.  They played a few of the clubs over a few years, and even got to play a gig at the Gasworks in Toronto.  For smaller bands, that was a really big thing back then.  They played heavier stuff like Black Sabbath and Queensryche, not so much my type of music, but they did introduce me to a few songs that I like.

For those of you who are intrigued by and wondering about the cruise, you can check it out via the website:  http://www.monstersofrockcruise.com/

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment